Time in Karachi

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Presidential Show From First Row

Today When I was driving home I was stopped near Shaheed-e-Millat Expressway by the cops. I thought it’s probably something related to the car being unregistered but turns out they had more to worry about. There was a visible panic seen among the cops running here & there, asking everyone to get a side. For a moment I thought probably India is bombing on the Expressway or something similar to that and that’s why they’re vacating the road but then I heard voices like…

“VIP movement!!!”, “Pechay Hatto”, “Side Pe Ho”, “Engine Band Kero Gari Ka”

I was like YAY!!! I’ve never seen this 1 before that too this close… I’ve heard about the people facing problems due to the similar movements in Musharraf regime, People waiting for hours n hours in traffic and patients dying in ambulances… Since I wasn’t in any kind of hurry so I thought to enjoy the show (too bad I had no pop corns on me)

Within minutes I could see a lot of cars in my rear view mirror & the road ahead of me being empty. Next were the street lights being shut down (WOW! Perfect cinema effects… I miss my pop corns)

Once the road was empty the very first Vigo of the convoy appeared at the speed of 100 km/hr approx. after 5 secs of that came the second Vigo with a loud speaker in it which announced about a biker coming from that side & the cops standing were ordered to do something about it. 10 secs later the real show begun (so the first 2 Vigos were trailer).

It started with 1 sports bike followed by another, and then came a set of 3 Mercedes Benz (W220) each of them being covered by 3 Land Cruisers. After that I seriously lost the count of vehicles following the convoy. If we talk about a ball park figure then there were at least 25 cars in the convoy which included Vigos, Hiluxes, Prados, Land Cruisers, Ambulances & some local Corollas as well.

Now I won’t bitch about how poor Pakistan is & the rulers should not waste so much of national resources & bla bla bla… That’s pretty old school now & we all are bored of reading & talking about that. Heck if I get a chance probably I’d also do the same & so would be the attitude of anyone getting this chance…

Secondly I disagree that Pakistan is a poor country. Where the head of state has such a convoy & the nation is also pretty rich (I know that), such a country can be anything but poor… look at USA, even their ‘presi’ doesn’t get such a convoy. We are rich & we have every right to do what we feel like… India is a poor country & that’s why their “presi” roams around in a pathetic Fiat Ambassador with just 1 bike leading the convoy, Shame on you indi people!

Anyways coming back to point… Our people always love to exaggerate; the whole process took 15 mins at MAX, give or takes a little and it was no way “hours n hours” like what we read in the newspaper. Since I was in the first row, thus when the show got over I had a clean road in front of me, I knew it was a 5 km patch where I wont get any car ahead of me, THIS was a golden opportunity to check what a Japanese 3.0 V6 engine has to offer, I was able to floor like never before nor ever imagined.

So for that I’d like to say, “Thank you, Mr.President! for providing me with such an opportunity.”


Rich Puri Sahib of Rich Pakistan (-:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is reality from which we cannot ignore actually a dilenma. Now regular citizens as we say AAM AADMI has got so used to it feel as if this is a part of their routine life. People who have power ,money and strenght are the only creatures who can have all the facilities,protection blah blah doesn,t matter if citizens are dying in bomb blasts, getting late for there work or sick and ill are having trouble in reaching hospital etc..... Might is Rigt is the trend that the nation is following from last 62 years God Bless Khaas AAdmi of Pakistan