Time in Karachi

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

SALE!!!

Last Saturday I & Alta didn’t feel like doing any work so we thought to go for lunch where Sheharyar also joined us. After lunch we had a plan of going to T2F for the concert of Mizraab but since Alta is a cheater and cancelled that plan at the last moment so we decided to shop around a little instead. Apart from other places we also happen to drop in at the Nike outlet on Shaheed-e-Millat.

Now I don’t know if it was our good or bad luck that they were having a SALE on all stock… Alta was basically in mood of buying while I & Sheharyar were not too much in the mood. In the shop whatever thing we were looking at, a salesman used to come from no where & go like “This is XX% off”. The first impression which I got was “Okay! Are we this cheap?” (-: tried to explain that price is not an issue here but let us shop with our will but guess that was conveyed in some Alien language tough Urdu and English (both used there) are perfectly fine in rest of Karachi. I really liked a couple of things but decided not to buy due to the same reason. It was really annoying.

I would have happily increased his commission had he been with an approach “you know this is bla bla thing with bla bla material and its really in & new n all that kinda shit…” it would have been a favor if the price bit would’ve stayed out of the deal.

When you walk into the outlet of Nike, Levis or Armani etc, you expect them to sell some good quality stuff; you’re not looking for cheap products… If I am someone only considerate about price then why would I walk into Nike? I can go to Zaineb Market & get something on FULL price and would still save a good difference than the DISCOUNTED price of Nike…

Won’t it be nice if instead of crying their lungs out and stressing all the energy on the price bit they start going for the approach of quality? Don’t people buy branded stuff without a sale? Yes of course everyone likes to save a little money here & there BUT if you’re choosing a banded outlet then it definitely means you’re not looking ONLY at price factor.

I agree that some people are price conscious, you can use discount as a selling tool with them but everyone is not the same… There are actually some people who are quality conscious.

If you live in Karachi then you must have seen those people selling detergent powder on the roads, the catch is either you’ll get a gift in the box for FREE or the box is FREE… Still I don’t see anyone buying off off them… Why not??? It’s for free (-: but everyone knows those products are of low quality and that’s why they don’t take them even for free.

I teach people how to sell; I train them to be tele-sellers and the stats show that I’ve been doing a good job so far. This is what I’ve learned with my experience, whenever you tell a potential buyer about something going on a “special”, “discount”, “off” or even “free” that leaves the potential buyer with an impression that “Hey Buddy! Since you’re so cheap & can never afford it with its regular price so that’s why we’re giving a special so even people like YOU can buy it”. How insulting.

I guess we’re all loosing track here, we have the tools but we don’t know what is to be used when... When you are willing to pay a price then you deserve to get the service and quality accordingly… Why would I go to Nandos if I want to see a waiter with an attitude and chicken which smells? I won’t pay 1000 per head for that… If that’s what I’m to get then I’d be better off sitting at an Irani hotel and pay 50… Both will fill my belly (-:

No comments: